20.8.09

I really like thursdays.

and I am not too sure why.
I like that it's almost the weekend.
and I like the way it sounds.
Thursday.
I think it has a nice ring to it.

So, I have met all of my future classmates/roommates that will be attending SBI, and I think we are going to have an awesome semester. It will be different for me, seeing it is pretty much all girls... I am not used to that (I know that there is all girls in my family, that's not what I mean), I have many more guy friends than girl friends. It's just the way I am I suppose, I don't like drama that we girls can create. Anyways, I am sure we will all become close, seeing we will be the only Americans in Italia... or at least that region.

So the other day, I went over to Crafter-holic's blog, and a love was reborn. She featured a DYI project one of my favorite artists.
When I was in elementary school, fifth and sixth grade to be precise, I lived in Germany, so we went to the DODS schools on base. It was here that I meet one of the most influential people in my life. I give him the credit for making me interested in honing my artistic abilities and learning about art history. His name was Mr. Clyde Huyck. and he was the coolest art teacher EVER. There is no one who could compete. He treated us like adults, didn't put up with the boys' foolishness, and really loved to teach us. My favorite part of art class (other than the art itself) was fifteen minutes before class was to be let out, he would make all of us go to the Art Wall and sit cross-legged in front of it. He would then get his magnificent plaster of paris pointer in the shape of a hand, and in a booming voice say "Is anyone up for the challenge today!?"
Everyone's hand would shoot up; no one made a sound though, or else he or she would not be picked. I sat waiting, hoping I could beat my last score which still got me into the 75 club. I knew I could make the 100 club though, I just knew it. I sat looking at the wall scattered with small images, and I KNEW the pieces and the artists. My heart started beating as the pointer came to my face, "You're up Chels, let's see what you've got." Mr. Huyck took out his timer, set it for two minutes, then said in a cool voice, "Go." My heart raced as I went across the wall pointing at the small pictures, "Snap the Whip-Homer, Nighthawks-Hopper, Guernica-Picasso, School of Athens-Raphael Persistence of Time-Dali..." I went on, and on, I lost track, but knew Mr. Huyck was ticking marks for me. When I was down to ten seconds left, everyone would countdown. I would keep naming as many as I can, but I always saved my favorite for last, "3...2...1..." "STANDING WOMAN! by ALBERTO GIACOMETTI!!" I would yell with delight. Mr. Huyck tallied up my points, and looked at me with a kind and proud expression. He turned to everyone and said, "We have a new club, ladies and gents, the 150 club." Everyone cheered and I took my seat with my jaw dropped. Mr. Huyck chuckled, "Why do you like Giacometti so much? Good Job Chels, I knew you could do it." He passed the pointer to another classmate, eager for their turn to beat my score.
I never did answer his question.
And you know what's sad.
To this very day, I couldn't tell you why I liked Giacometti so much.
I just do.
























"Standing Woman" 1959, Alberto Giacometti

this is the end.
chels.

1 comment:

  1. that was an excellent story. we should go to the art museum together =]

    ReplyDelete